Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Day 18

Well things are beginning to move much faster now. Our car seat arrived today so tomorrow I’ll make a trip home at some point to get that and bring it back to the hospital. The NICU nurses will inspect it and get it set up for Nicholas. Then they put him in it and see how he does as far as his breathing and heart rate to make sure that riding in an infant car seat is safe for him. The doctor said today that Nicholas is not gaining weight at the rate they would like to see him gaining. So they have taken away one breastfeeding session and will increase the bottle feedings with the additional calories in it to help him gain weight a little faster. Then they decided that we should do “on demand” feeding which means that when he wakes up and is hungry they call me and I come feed him. If this is one hour or four hours it doesn’t matter. At first I thought that would be a great idea and its supposed to help my milk to come in more. Well after the day was over I was pooped and stressed. I don’t do well without a schedule and my kids have to be on a schedule or they will have one frazzled Mama!! So my plan is to talk to the nurses and see if we can’t do somewhat of a schedule. I’ll also try feeding him longer to make sure he gets plenty so the chances of me going back in an hour are slim. So the first feeding I tried that on lasted about an hour. Holy cow!! This is going to be one time consuming child. Hopefully that gets better as he gets older. =o)

No comments:

Post a Comment