Monday, September 14, 2009

Day 17

Some good and not so great news today…We’ll start with the good news. Nicholas is out of his isolette and in a big boy bed now!! He moved to his open air bed around 6:30 this evening. He’s been eating well with breastfeeding and some bottle feeding. He’s also been maintaining his temperature pretty well so they decided it was time to move him up. Some other good news is they’ve decided to just let him sleep and wake up on his own when he’s hungry. I was happy about this decision because I think he’ll sleep longer than 2.5 hours between feedings. So after the 2pm feeding they let him sleep (not exceeding four hours between feedings) and he pretty much went 4 hours. So we fed him at 6pm and then he was ready to eat again at 9:30. Not too bad! This will be kind of fun to do now just to see what our schedule might be like at home. If after 24 hours he’s really sporadic with the times I’ll probably ask if we can stick to a schedule because I’m a huge believer in that fact that a mom can put her baby on a schedule if you stick with it and I like having a schedule (mostly because then I know when I can sleep…a little selfish, I know). Madi also had a great day with her baby brother. She gets so excited to go to the NICU and visit him. She tells all the nurses when we get in there where Nee-Kee is and that he is hers. She is very proud of her little brother and she was able to give him some kisses and hugs today which made her much happier. It’s absolutely driving her nuts that she can’t hold him. I don’t blame her though. =o) So there were definitely lots of good news today, but also an important area that needs specific prayer. Nicholas’s heart rate was increased again today reaching 220 at times. When the doctor came around I asked him what his thoughts were on this. He said they really hadn’t said anything about it yet because they are still monitoring it and trying to figure out what it could be. I guess there are a few different issues that could be happening, to include the possibility that its just something he will grow out of. I’m liking the latter “issue.” The doctor told me the three possibilities and also described them and for the life of me I couldn’t reiterate what he said. With all the other steps that Nicholas is reaching we could possibly be home by the end of this week, but I don’t want to go home until I know what’s going on with his heart. So hopefully we can get an answer soon…and my faith stands on the fact that this is all nothing and he will grow out of it. If you would, please pray for this to be absolutely nothing and that all “issues” are ruled out and he can come home completely healthy with a very strong heart…a strong heart for the Lord!!

No comments:

Post a Comment